Every November through December, you’re surrounded by food – lots of it. At the same time, the holidays can be very stressful if you’re hosting loved ones or missing them.
Food plus stress is often a recipe for disaster, but there are steps you can take to beat holiday excess:
- Fill up on healthy snacks, like fruits, veggies and nuts, before meals.
- Bring your own low-calorie dish to potlucks.
- Watch your portion size, especially at buffets. It’s okay to enjoy some of your favorites in moderation.
- Skip sugary drinks, fatty sauces and salty processed foods.
- Make fresh fruit your dessert.
Also, plan at least two-and-a-half hours of physical activity a week. You can sneak workouts between parties or bring others along for a walk or dancing.