Solo Practitioners (No W2 Employees)
As a solo practitioner, you may have received an announcement from Anthem Blue Cross stating they are exiting the individual health insurance market (read Anthem’s announcement) in most California counties as of January 1, 2018.* Through your CalCPA membership, you have access to exclusive medical plans with CalCPA Health.
If you are a solo practitioner, a CPA in public practice without any W2 employees, you are eligible (see eligibility requirements below) to enroll in the CalCPA Health medical plans as well as Vision and Dental plans. You may also apply for Individual Term Life and Individual Disability policies. Besides these health benefit plans, CalCPA Health offers much more:
- Largest provider networks available in California – Anthem Blue Cross, Delta Dental, and Vision Service Plan (VSP)
- Unparalleled customer service
- LiveHealth Online – 24/7 online doctor visits
- LiveHealth Online Psychology – online visits with a licensed therapist or psychologist
- ConsumerMedical – helping make healthcare decisions easier
- Integrated HSA and HRA plans
- Plans administered through a single source – one bill for all plans
- Health and benefit plans designed by CPAs, for CPAs since 1959
CalCPA Health offers an array of health plan choices through Anthem Blue Cross, including our fully integrated Health Savings Account plans (HSAs). All plans are available on Anthem’s full Prudent Buyer PPO network as well as the Select network.
CalCPA Health is available to solo practitioners of an accounting firm and or a firm offering general financial services. In order to be eligible and retain such eligibility, more than 50% of all the Employer’s owners (i.e., principals, proprietors, partners, shareholders or other owners) must be CPAs or Associate members of CalCPA in good standing. If you are a CPA and not a member of CalCPA, click here to see how you can join. All employers deemed to be part of an affiliated group under Internal Revenue Code Sections 414 (b), (c), or (m) are considered to be a single employer.
If you would like to enroll in a CalCPA Health medical plan, you may contact Banyan Administrators, Managers for the CalCPA Health Programs, at 877.203.3277. Or, if you prefer online submission, below is a link to the enrollment forms that you can fill out and email to CalCPAHealth@key.insurance to begin the quoting process.
Please note: Open Enrollment for January 1, 2018 coverage begins November 1, 2017 and ends in December.
* Anthem will remain in the following counties: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Mendocino, Modoc, Nevada, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tuolumne, Yuba; Santa Clara; Mariposa, Merced, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tulare. This will not affect those with Anthem’s employer (group) coverage, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, Medi-Cal, or any individuals and families covered on “grandfathered” plans purchased prior to March 23, 2010.